It was spring in 2000. I was in trouble, a lot. Not with police or anything like that, but very much so with my mother. Who knew that would happen when you live walking distance from a street of bars called "Fry Street."
She was sitting in church with my dad and praying for some sign to save me from failing out of college and being a bum. She looked down in the program and saw an advertisement for college kids to work at the church's summer elementary youth camp. Praise be to God- she found it.
She called me that afternoon and for a series of days afterward for me to contact the youth minister. I was no fool. I did contact him, on the last day possible hoping that I wouldn't get the job and say I did contact him, but all positions were filled.
Well as it turns out there was one position open and it was mine if I wanted it. Turns out I had a few angels that knew both the youth minister and me and said some very nice things. I was the only person hired without an interview.
I went to the pre-camp week with an open mind thinking this is going to be great. I was living at home rent-free and playing outside with a very diverse group of kids all summer. Great way to spend a summer. I didn't know a single person and there was no need to keep in contact with anyone afterward.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
I walk into the room to meet everyone-not knowing a soul and meet a great group of people. Mark's best friend since he was little was the youth minister/hiring guy. Mark was working the camp as something fun to do during the summer and hang with his friends. We would go swimming like 2 days of the week, Wet-N-Wild or Six Flags for one and then just play at the church for the other 2. I loved it because I can't swim and I'm afraid of heights, but I kept it a bit of secret. I would look like a champion to always be with the little kids. The secret got out of the bag after about week one, mostly because I can't keep a secret and I'm not that obnoxious even when I try.
This summer had a huge impact on both of us. Of course we met, but we met lifelong friends who we adore. My daughter's godfather is the youth minister who changed the course of our lives. My son's godfather is another counselor who we met that summer and spent every summer and non summer with from then on.
I have no idea why Mark decided to put up with me that summer. I had a boyfriend and almost done with a college degree that would keep me traveling as much as I wanted. I knew when he made me laugh for hours on end I was done looking and all previous decisions were void- and I was only 21! The biggest laugh we had was stupid..like awful stupid pick up lines. I still get a kick out of those today. Like "Are you from Tennessee? 'cuz you're the only 10 I see." I'll comment more as I remember them.
Once we decided to start dating we kept it a secret for a while. That was fun because everyone kept trying to set us up, but we kept saying no- we weren't interested.
That summer was a long time ago, but by far one of my favorites. I love seeing all the "Decision Points" that can change a life. (Yes that is a George Bush comment from a girl that is pretty non-political. crazy right)
Did it hurt? What? When you fell from heaven, did it hurt?
ReplyDelete